Wednesday 4 May 2016

Final thoughts

I woke early, showered and discarded all the empty containers of toiletries. Breakfast featured sausages, the first accommodation in Sri Lanka that offered it, along with eggs, toast, butter, fresh fruit and tea.


The tuk-tuk driver who had shrewdly booked me for the trip to the airport was waiting outside ahead of time, so we set off and I reached the airport with time to spare. Spotting an exchange booth, I changed the remaining LKR to €. Even leaving Sri Lanka was a hassle: first I was delayed at the check-in counter behind a family with heaps of luggage, then at emigration the official left his booth to attend to another case, leaving a dangling queue for a while.


The flight to KL was uneventful. I got a tandoori wrap for lunch again. At KLIA2 I checked into the Sama Sama 2 transit hotel to get a few hours nap before the overnight flight home. It is just like a normal hotel but with higher rates as it can be rented for a minimum of 6 hours, and saves entering Malaysia. A couple of hours before the onward flight I had a snack at the food court just outside the hotel.


Sri Lanka climate is hot and humid on the coast, and fortunately cooler in hill country. I don't like hot and humid weather and find it hard to enjoy the surroundings when sweaty. I’m also not fond of sunbathing, or seabathing for that matter. Some of the European visitors may be escaping northern hemisphere winter, but even if I were, I don’t feel the need to go to the other extreme.


The people were generally friendly. Most of the time I was taken for mainland Chinese. This is a change from the past when I was taken for a Japanese. I saw quite a few Chinese couples or families. Some shops in Galle had Chinese signs. It’s a sign that the mainland Chinese are venturing further out into the world. Russian signs show that they also have been coming here to escape winter. Most people understand a bit of English, especially numbers, many can make a basic conversation.


The greatest deficiency in transportation was the lack of good information on routes, schedules, and prices. I often had to consult several search result pages to find an answer. Next was the lack of an established backpacker transport network. You have to hire your own driver, or join the locals on the public transport system. Connections can be dicey, and I wish I had done a bit more planning. Their railway system is quaint, but works after a fashion. Buses are dirt-cheap but take ages to get anywhere due to traffic, and picking up and dropping off passengers frequently. Walking isn’t pleasant for more than a couple of km due to the lack of good footpaths, obstacles and uneven surfaces. Not to mention the climate, again. Riding tuk-tuks wasn’t exorbitant, but the cost of the trips add up. The need to bargain and be wary of overcharging due to lack of an official fare structure got tiresome.


I hated how the Sri Lankans toss rubbish everywhere. It not only degrades the environment but also spoils the beauty of the landscape. Not to mention encouraging crows, mosquitoes and other pests.


Sri Lanka sights were underwhelming to me, partly due to the messiness of the surroundings. It’s hard to get to most places under one’s own steam. Joining a tour is a good idea. But these seem to be not as organised as, say in Thailand. Many of the offerings such as whale and elephant watching I have done already. I prefer the crisp atmosphere of alpine peaks or dry Mediterranean air to the hazy air of tropical Sri Lanka. But looking at the photos, they seem more vivid and colourful now than at the time. Perhaps scenes look better in retrospect, especially when comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment