Tuesday 3 May 2016

Negombo

Breakfast was in the non-aircon top floor so I went as soon as it opened. It was skimpy, only bread, omelette, butter, jam and tea. I chatted with a Swiss couple from Basel who seemed to be mother and son. They had come to Sri Lanka several times. Perhaps the idea of a tropical holiday island appeals to Europeans. The son remarked how much easier the Internet made searching and booking of accommodation, and collection of travellers' opinions.


I consulted the Internet for points of interest in Colombo. I might have visited the National Museum or some famous temple but nothing appealed. I was suffering from holiday fatigue. So I waited until 1100 and caught a tuk-tuk to the Old Dutch Hospital again. The driver didn't know it and had to ask bystanders for directions.

The Heladiv Tea Club is a well-appointed oasis of comfort and cool, and they make good coffee. I ordered a latte and sipped it while surfing.


At noon, I ordered a chicken wrap for lunch. It was small, but adequate for my appetite in the warm climate.

From there I caught a tuk-tuk to Fort Station. It could have been a 20 minute walk but I was happy to pay 100 LKR. One cabbie quoted 300 LKR. I told him to GTFO, well, not exactly those words. Colombo was the only place in Sri Lanka where I encountered brazen attempts to overcharge.


I hopped onto a rattling commuter train to Negombo just as it was pulling out of the station. The reason for spending the last night there was the proximity to the airport, good for morning flights. Besides it's a beach resort in its own right, and I had booked a room in a boutique hotel to enjoy a last night in style.


The carriage wasn't crowded but all the seats were taken. I watched the GPS to check that I was on the right service; the right fork of the line continues up the coast towards Jaffna. Progress was slow of course, it took over an hour to travel some 40 km.


From Negombo station it was a short tuk-tuk ride up the coast to the Binnacle Hotel. It was a fantastic choice, of recent construction and very well-appointed.


It was also the only place I stayed at in Sri Lanka that had a pool.


I lost no time in taking advantage of it.


Ah, this was luxury, after enduring hot and humid Sri Lankan weather.


A well-tended garden too.


Around dusk I walked down to the beach to catch the sunset.


Not the most picturesque beach but serviceable.


The backdrop was not as attractive as Unawatuna. Those clouds opened up with a thunderstorm not long after I left the beach.


Last sunset for me in Sri Lanka.


Another advantage of Binnacle was that it was just around the corner from Lords Restaurant Complex. This is the top ranking eatery in Negombo. I reached it just as it started pouring.


The decor and ambience are modern, attractive in a quirky way.
The koi pond.


One of its residents.
My lassi drink, and nibbles.


Starter of crepes and crab paste.


Main of fish roulade with sides.

If you don't find these dishes in the current menu, then obviously they have varied the menu since.

Lords is also involved in Sri Lankan dog and cat welfare as part of their social responsibilities.

A most enjoyable splurge and cost just over 30 AUD which would only get you one main back in Australia.

Back at the hotel I chatted a bit with who I took to be the caretaker, but turned out to be the entrepreneur owner, looking after the place in the evenings. I paid for the room so that I could checkout quickly in the morning. Then I totally repacked before turning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment