Friday 29 April 2016

Nuwara Eliya

The 5 minute walk that the concierge claimed turned out to be more like 15 (why are locals optimistic?), however Nuwara Eliya is in hill country and cooler so I didn't mind. First order of business was to find lunch. I prowled the main street, noting choices. I sat myself down at one restaurant, nobody came to take my order, flies buzzed around, so I walked out.


Eventually I settled on a pop-up diner inside a trailer parked in a lay-by that had tables outside, and had the chicken biranyi (sic) which was passable.

I wrote pop-up but it looked semi-permanent to serve workers. Billboards seemed to indicate that well-to-do Sri Lankans buy homes off the plan in gated communities in hill country.


I strolled through a market, a small line of stalls, selling mostly provisions and household goods. Nothing intriguing.
Then I went to Victoria Park. It was full of schoolgirls in white uniforms and some adults who were probably the carers. Not sure if it was the beginning of holidays or a Friday excursion.


Victoria Park is not a botanical park so there are no labels on the plants but it was pleasant to stroll around. I got myself a choc top ice cream and enjoyed the fresh air and respite from the traffic noise outside.


There are trees, and some seem to be of great age. But no ducks in the duck pond.


The rotunda.


Daisies are always pretty.


Maybe I shouldn't go around photographing flowers I can't identify. Ok, I've been told they are snapdragons.
Yes, ma'am!


Then it was back to the Richmond Inn to nap the rest of the afternoon away. At some point the staff came to tell me that there had been a mix up and I had been given the wrong room, I seemed to recall I had booked a bigger one. But I said I was fine where I was. The bathroom had been renovated recently but the hot water was erratic.


In the evening I tried to get to the Queenswood for dinner but it was closed for the season. I settled for the Underwood next door and had the seer fish (mackerel, apparently) with vegies and chips. The chips were a bit overcooked but otherwise the meal was passable. Sri Lankan kitchens seem have only basic implements. Reminded me of the under equipped kitchens of Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment